Friday, March 9, 2012

MARCH



THINGS TO CHANGE NEXT YE



Journal of activities:

March 2: Red cabbage starting to come up. Hurray. Also some herbs and maybe a couple of tomatoes are coming up.
Made another hot window and planted carrots, beets, and some lettuce and broccoli under it.


Hot Window2



March 3: Watched dirt hoping to see tomatoes and chilies emerge. No luck, but any day now.



A few days ago I tried to heat the green house on a cold night with a chimney charcoal briquette starter crammed with wood chips. Bad idea. Those things go crazy. Filled the house with smoke through the dryer vent and charred some of my young plants. Laura sent out an electric space heater. It works but where is the excitement.
Garlic and Chives



March 8th: Planted some more chilies. Some tomatoes are coming up. A few of the garlic I planted outside are coming up in addition to the volunteers.
Hot Window 1



March 9: Transplanted Broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, and Swiss chard into garden under hot windows.
Planted some more chilies and tomatoes in green house. Also planted cilantro and arugula.
Most of my soranos and banana chilies are up. Yellow pear tomatoes are up and others are slowly following. Lettuce or spinach is coming up in second hot window.


March 10:  Found some kale, kohlrabi, and sweet cherry tomatoes seed, so I planted those today. kohlrabi outside and the others inside.


Plants out to sun



March 14: Arugula came up on the 12th (3 days). Some kale is starting to peak through. Most everything in second hot window is up (carrots, beets, and some lettuce and broccoli)






March 15: While I had my four hot windows open today to water them, a sparrow ate all of my cauliflower in one window while I was watering the broccoli in another. I didn't realize what it was doing until it was too late. I don't know if they will come back up. My wife thinks that was the funniest thing ever. See if she gets any cauliflower. I tried to ventilate the sparrow with my pellet gun but missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment